When I was a fifth grade teacher, I always ended the year by sharing several books with my learners. Books like Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss, I Knew You Could by Craig Dorfman, and I'd Choose You by John Trent. If I were still a fifth grade teacher, I would now include The Dot by Peter Reynolds! My goal, of course, was to share some bit of "wisdom" with my learners before they headed off to middle school. Well, since then I have discovered that my learners have far more wisdom to share with me than I could ever hope to share with them. Looking back, I don't even know if those timeless stories ever had the impact I was hoping for, but I do know that they led to some great conversations and precious memories during the last week of school each year.
Of all the books I shared with my learners during those last bittersweet days of their fifth grade year, my favorite by far was Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney. Based on the true story of Alice Rumphius, this precious book is the story of the real "Lupine Lady" who had three wishes in her lifetime...to travel the world, to live in a house beside the sea, and to make the world a more beautiful place. She worked hard to make all of her wishes come true and, in the end, made the world more beautiful by spreading lupine seeds wherever she went. These seeds eventually blossomed into beautiful patches of "blue and purple and rose colored flowers" that carpeted the town where she lived.
- Our world is changing...true.
- We live in a global society...true again.
- Technology is changing how kids learn...ummm...yes!
- Trendy Styles is creating hats, hairbands and clothing for orphans and needy children around the world.
- Seeing Through a Dog's Eyes is making pull toys for service animals.
- Stop Motion Films, Inc. is creating videos to raise awareness about global warming, pollution, and hunger.
- Cause for Paws is making blankets for homeless animals.
- Sew Fashionable is making stockings for children in need.
- Broadcasting is exploring tools to make visual announcements possible on our campus.
- Calling All Carpenters and EVENTful Planning are working alongside the PTO to plan, design, and build games that will be used in the Spring Carnival.
- A second grade E-Time group is creating cards/posters for nursing home residents.
- The list goes on and on!!
- Learners develop skills that will allow them to be competitive in a global workplace. These skills include communication, collaboration, creativity, problem solving, self awareness, and many more.
- Learners identify areas of strength and talent and are given opportunities to develop those areas in a supportive, risk free environment.
- Learners understand their identity as global citizens and begin to take ownership of the privileges and responsibility that identity requires.
- Learners are immersed in real world experiences that give value and purpose to their efforts.
- Learners construct new understandings of their role as both learner and educator in a world where the value of each is absolutely immeasurable.
- Learners develop perseverance in the face of challenges and obstacles as they work to accomplish tasks and goals that are globally relevant and personally meaningful.
- Learners dive deep into academic content in the context of real world problems that provide relevance and purpose to the learning that is taking place.
- Learners demonstrate a higher level of motivation, task commitment, and willingness to take risks with academic skills that are embedded naturally into the tasks they are striving to complete. These skills include concepts related to measurement, numeracy, data collection, fine arts, reading comprehension, written expression, scientific understanding, and many more.
- For the Schoolwide Enrichment Model (SEM) to truly take hold in a school, the educators must be willing to let go of the reins and give the learners control of their learning...scary.
- In order for the Schoolwide Enrichment Model to continue to grow and begin to change the culture in a school, the educators must be willing to demonstrate flexibility and resourcefulness like never before...demanding.
- If the Schoolwide Enrichment Model is going to truly define who you are as a school and impact the way every learner and every educator thinks and behaves
Inspire. Digital image. Inesonline.com. N.p., Mar. 2012. Web. 26 Nov. 2014.